Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September Summary

Hours for September:
FigNewTon: 114.5
Butterfly: 94

Cumulative Total:
FigNewTon: 292.5
Butterfly: 242.5

September was definitely a good month. We joined the co-op and are enjoying it. Both girls learned a lot and accomplished quite a bit. FigNewTon is hoping to complete her hours early so she can enjoy the spring weather outdoors more. Butterfly naps less than she did before, is accomplishing more each week, and is grasping concepts quickly.

FigNewTon exceeded the required number of hours by 14.5. She has gotten satisfaction from completing several assignments on time and before I begin nagging. She also seems to be a bit more motivated now that we are in the co-op. She definitely enjoys it and has already benefited from the opportunity to work with peers who are homeschooled. She had a really good month.

Butterfly was so close to completing the required number of hours this month. She is closer than last month, which was closer than the month before. I am still not worried about her hours. As her brain heals, she is able to accomplish more. If she keeps going on this pattern, increasing by 5-10 hours each month, she will easily accomplish all of the required hours. Knowing that the doctors can give a letter excusing her from school helps to alleviate my stress a bit. It also helps that she is eager to learn. It is difficult to figure out exactly what she needs to learn, partially because this changes quickly. Since this time is mostly re-learning information that is already somewhere in her brain, it takes less effort for her to grasp the information. Cursive was re-learned in a matter of days. She went from not being able to read it to writing it in under a week. Most things are like this. As soon as I figure out she needs to learn something, begin to present it, and gather aids to help me teach, she grasps it. If this continues, she will be at grade level within a year. The exception seems to be math, grammar, and phonics. If I can incorporate art or action into a lesson, it is learned faster. If she naps as needed, she learns faster. If we take frequent breaks, she absorbs more information. OK. I can do all of that. If our schedule is set, predictable, and we are at home she learns more. This one is not so easy. She has an average of 5 appointments per week. Yes, I said 5. And that is average. Some weeks have as many as 7. And that is only her. Sometimes FigNewTon and I have to go to the doctor, as well. Being home with a predictable schedule is not as easy as it sounds when a child has so many doctors caring for her well-being.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanted to say I'm so proud of you guys for getting those hours in! WTG!