Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Being Flat

I had never imagined I would be flat. It happened as I was going for a walk one day. I was walking in the grass because the bike path was being worked on. Suddenly, I tripped and fell into the wet cement just as a road roller was coming! When the driver realized that he had driven over me, he stopped the machine and came running to help me up. He asked if I was okay.

“I’m fine,” I answered.

“You're flat!” he exclaimed.

I realized it was true! I was immediately rushed to the emergency room where the doctors cleaned the cement off, checked me over, and said I was fine.

After I got used to being flat, it was really kind of fun. I became the champ at hide and seek. I could hide anywhere! Under the dresser, in the drawers, behind the door, the options were endless! I could also be quite helpful to miners. I could get in thru crevices into whole new rooms in the caves they were working on. Then they could find even more jewels!

Soon it was time for school to start. At school, there were lots of times I wished I were not flat. Like the time that I tripped and nobody noticed and therefore walked on top of me. Yesterday, the girl beside me dropped some papers as she was getting ready to leave. I bent to pick up my things and she mistook me for one of her papers! I was crammed into her backpack, which was then crammed into the locker! I got out of the backpack and undid the latch from the inside, so I was free!

I went home that night and I was sad. To cheer me up, my sister suggested we play the hokey-pokey. As I shook my arms and legs, they started to fill out to their normal shape! I was very excited and went in to tell my mom. When she saw that I had resumed my normal shape, she took me and my sister out for ice cream to celebrate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took the main idea for this story from the book Flat Stanley. He has started a website to tell all about his adventures. Go check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this story. You have a great imagination. It is my opinion that you have excellent writing skills. Keep up the good work!

Julie